International PhD Student Summer School in Business
(June 17 to 23, 2015, Shenyang, China)
International PhD Student Summer School in Business, offered by the School of Business Administration, Northeastern University, will be held in Shenyang, Liaoning, China from June 17 to 23, 2015. It is envisioned as a short term, cross-disciplinary and cross-cultural class of PhD students and encouraged interaction between participants and professors from different universities in different countries. This seven-day English-taught international Summer School offers two courses in Business and provides a platform for international academic exchange, wide-ranging research development, and network discussions.
The primary purposes of the Summer School are concerned with:
- Learning by exchange among PhD students with different academic backgrounds from different cultures and different universities.
- Learning by lectures given by invited professors (the participants may learn something beyond their focus and get assistance for their research issues. Professors can set their own specific topics, which would probably cover new progress, recent research issues, and/or general understandings of their areas).
- Strengthening individual academic capabilities in the most recent research in business management.
- For Chinese students, learning by participating the lectures given by professors in universities outside China.
Courses and Professors
1. Course 1: Operations Management
Main topics of the course will cover:
- Creation of Supply Chain Networks
- Current Research in Supply Chain Networks
- Empirical Analysis of Supply Chain Networks
- Managing Operational Failures
- Current Research in Operational Failures
- Empirical Analysis of Operational Failures
Professor: Dr. Manpreet Singh Hora, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
Dr. Manpreet Singh Hora is an Associate Professor at the Scheller College of Business, Georgia Institute of Technology and his research examines managerial decision-making in mitigating losses and enhancing firm performance in supply chain management. Dr. Hora has published in journals such as
2. Course 2: Cloud Computing and Commerce, Big Data, and Digital Marketing
Main topics of course will cover:
- Trust and cloud computing
- Barriers and potential for cloud computing in EU
- Introduction to big data business research
- Observations on academic research on social media
- General framework on social media research using big data (incl. case studies/papers)
- Digital marketing
Professor: Dr. Theo Lynn, Dublin City University, Ireland
Dr. Theo Lynn is Business Innovation Platform Director at Dublin City University. He is a Senior Lecturer (associate professor) at DCU Business School and the Principal Investigator of the Irish Centre for Cloud Computing and Commerce, an EI/IDA funded Cloud Computing Technology Centre.
The participants are targeted at those PhD students who are actively seeking research ideas or doing their research work at earlier stage. All students are required to have sufficient English listening and oral communication ability. About 25 PhD students from NEU, university in China and outside China will be invited to the International Summer School.
Students who complete the program with satisfactory performance successfully will receive an official certificate issued by the School of Business Administration, NEU.
Fees and Accommodation
School of Business Administration of NEU will provide supports for all selected PhD students. The school will cover tuition fee, economy round-trip air or train tickets (depend on distance and the school decision), meals and accommodation for 8 days. Expenses for social activities and personal costs are not included.
Application is open from now on to June 5, 2015 at 17:00. Admission is a selective process. To be eligible to apply, please send E-mail with the subject “SBAiSS2015-applicant’s name” to email@example.com attaching the following documents:
- Application form
- CV, including academic achievements and qualifications, explaining your interest in the international summer school and motivation.
Please indicate if you need a Visa application. An official invitation letter can be provided.
Contact for Details
Ms. Rui Qin
Telephone: 0086 24 83683796
Cooperation, Exchange, PR and Alumni Office, School of Business Administration